Strategy and oversight
Our Management Board provides top level strategy and oversight.
Its role is primarily management, although it also provides a link to our governance by reporting to the Natural Environment Research Council Centre Assurance Board.
Our Management Board
Our Management Board is made up of nine members:
NCAS Executive Director: Professor Stephen Mobbs
Director of Science for Chemistry: Professor Ally Lewis
Director of Science for Physics: Professor Geraint Vaughan
Director of Science for Climate: Professor Rowan Sutton
Director of Science and Staff: Professor Lesley Gray
Non-Executive Director: Mary E Black
Non-Executive Director: Graham Stacey
Non-Executive Director: Belinda Howell
Non-Executive Director (Staff): Dr Barbara Brooks
Terms of Reference
Our Management Board terms of reference are:
- To develop, review and approve NCAS strategic and delivery plans.
- To develop and approve NCAS-wide policies and procedures and ensure that they are implemented in an appropriate manner.
- To provide oversight of NCAS managers and budget holders.
- To report on NCAS performance to NERC’s NCAS Centre Assurance Board.
- To develop and approve the NCAS annual budget plan.
- To ensure the effective delivery of NCAS National Capability and other activities.
- To provide strategic oversight of NCAS partnerships.
- To ensure that NCAS staff are managed according to NCAS policies and procedures.
- To ensure that NCAS maintains consistently high ethical and legal standards in all its activities.
- To assist the NCAS Executive Director in fulfilling accountability to the NERC Chief Executive.
- To provide appropriate reports on activities and performance to NERC and UKRI.
- To review and respond to internal and commissioned advice, including from the NCAS Science Advisory Board.
- To maintain awareness and respond to external opportunities and advice.
- To review, maintain and respond to the NCAS risk register.
Our Management Board membership is:
- Chair: Executive Director, currently appointed by the Natural Environment Research Council Chief Executive.
- Three Executive Directors with primary responsibility covering science strategy, services and facilities, impact, partnerships and external business. These Executive Directors are appointed by the Executive Director in consultation with the Natural Environment Research Council Director, Research and Innovation.
- One Executive Director with primary responsibility covering staff management and development, appointed by the Executive Director in consultation with the Natural Environment Research Council Director, Research and Innovation.
- One Non-Executive Director recruited from within our current, permanent staff. The Non-Executive Director is appointed by the executive board members for a fixed term.
- Two or three Non-Executive Directors recruited externally. These members should have no direct interests in the National Centre for Atmospheric Science and will be appointed for their additional expertise. The Non-Executive Directors are appointed by the Executive Board members for a fixed term.
- Decision making will be by Management Board consensus wherever possible.
- When consensus cannot be reached and voting is therefore required, decisions are made by simple majority. The Executive Director as Chair has a casting vote in the event of a tie.
- A minimum quorum for voting is more than half of the members.
- In the case of the annual budget, at least 80% of the membership are required to vote. Proxy votes are allowed.
- For major constitutional change, two thirds of the membership are required to vote in favour.
Meetings take place every two months, or more if required
- Management Board papers should be made available to members 5 working days in advance of each meeting.
- Key decisions and actions will be recorded and circulated within 2 weeks of a board meeting and reviewed at the subsequent meeting of the Management Board.
- Minutes will be taken and reviewed at the subsequent meeting of the Management Board.
- Management Board agendas, minutes and supporting papers, where appropriate, will be made available to our staff, with the exception of items that relate to confidential matters.
Senior Management Meeting
An informal weekly meeting, usually by video conference, of the executive members of the Management Board, with other managers in attendance as required.
Weekly meeting agendas will be made available to our staff.